Brief Project Description:
Our client is looking for a Senior Counsel in Toronto for a 12-month contract to assist the Cards & Payments Legal Team. This role involves providing legal advice on a broad range of complex legal and regulatory matters relating to credit cards and loyalty/rewards programs.
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Duration of contract: 1 year
- To support the goals of the Vice President & Associate General Counsel, Banking & Enterprise Services, and the Assistant General Counsel, Cards and Payments, in achieving the business/operations, strategic priorities and operational performance goals of the Law Group, in particular the performance commitments of solution-oriented advice and responsiveness.
- To provide legal services primarily to the Banking, Payments and Cards team (the “Cards Team”) on a broad range of legal and regulatory matters.
- Acts as legal advisor on a broad range of complex legal and regulatory matters relating to credit cards, loyalty/rewards programs and the Company Offers Program.
- Responsible for the identification, assessment and management of legal, reputational and regulatory risk in connection with the Company Rewards Program as it pertains to credit cards and enterprise-wide initiatives, including drafting and negotiating agreements and other collateral material with various merchants, airlines and other third parties.
- Provides legal counsel on matters pertaining to the Company Offers Program, including negotiating agreements with various merchants, creating/reviewing terms and conditions for Company Offers on the market and drafting client facing documents pertaining to the Company Offers Program.
- Provides legal counsel on new product development and changes, and drafting/reviewing client-facing agreements and documentation.
- Coordinates and liaises with functional partners on new initiatives to mitigate legal risk and ensure compliance.
- Collaborates with other lawyers in the Law Group, and various business teams, and works closely with them to promote alignment to overall strategy of the Cards Team and applicable lines of business.
- Identifies, assesses and manages legal risks in an evolving and fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor of Law Degree (Common Law or Civil) from a recognized law school.
- Membership in provincial/territorial law society or bar association. Called to the Bar in any Canadian Province or Territory.
- Knowledge of Law – Demonstrates expert knowledge in specialized and complex areas of law. Ideal candidate has experience in areas of payments, credit cards, loyalty/rewards programs and contract law. Maintaining currency on changes to laws, regulations, rulings, interpretations and jurisprudence in areas of specialization
- Expert knowledge of the business facilitates alignment between legal advice and strategic priorities.
- Strong client focus
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely and influence in a variety of formats and venues
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy
- Ability to analyze legal risk in context of business realities
- Ability to work at all levels of management and team members, and build a strong network of peers and partners
Please attach a resume in Word format and a brief cover letter, indicating when you are looking to start, your salary range, hourly rate range (incorporated), as well as how soon you can interview.
Thank you to all applicants who apply. Select qualified applicants will be called for an initial phone screen by a recruiter to discuss next steps.
We specialize in the recruitment of high performing, talented, Accounting, Finance, and Project Professionals who are being sought after by top tier companies for permanent, contract and project opportunities in Banking, Finance and Accounting. As a relationship first company, we build win-win partnerships with the candidates and companies we work with. Our focus is to make sure that we get it right the first time saving you time, money and energy during the search process. As your trusted recruitment advisor, we work hard to ensure that you have the very best experience in your search.